A divorce or the breakup of a relationship between an unmarried couple in New Mexico can be challenging and emotional enough on its own. When children are involved, the effects are even more pronounced.
The determination of custody and how parenting time will be divided between both parents tend to be the sticking points that sparks many disputes over custody. This is exactly where a skilled and tenured Santa Fe child custody lawyer such as The Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer comes in.
We offer a unique and child-centered focus on custody disputes and arrangements, so the needs of your child are always put first. We will also provide you with the guidance and legal advice necessary to get the best possible arrangement for your child. Our child custody attorneys have years of experience working in Los Alamos and Santa Fe courts, so you can rest easy knowing you’ll have expert representation for your case.
The Factors at Play
In New Mexico, the laws presume you and the other parent will have joint custody. It's important to note, however, that joint custody does not mean that the parenting time and financial responsibility will be equal for each parent. The court will consider many factors in your case, including:
- The wishes of the child and both parents
- The child’s level of adjustment to his or her community, home and school
- How the child interacts with each parent
Our firm will not hesitate to litigate your custody case in court should the need arise, but we focus on preventing a dispute from escalating into a full-blown custody battle. The longer a dispute over custody goes on, the harder it often is on the children at the center of it. We will use all of our knowledge and experience to identify potential issues that are blocking the path to compromise in your custody case so we can help you create an agreement that will keep all family relationships healthy.
Child Custody Arrangements
Family situations vary, and so do the aspects of child custody cases. Every family is different, and what works for one family may not work for yours. When the court considers custody arrangements, it reviews many factors, including:
- How well the parents are getting along
- Which parent has mainly served as the primary caregiver
- The preferences of the child and his or her relationships with the parents and other family members
- Whether there is any history of substance abuse or domestic violence with either parent and other factors in the environment
- Time and availability constraints, such as a work schedule
Your Child's Interests Always Come First
At The Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer, we will put your children's interests first as we work on getting you the most favorable custody agreement. Custody battles can be emotional, and your personal feelings may come into play. We will help you find solutions in these situations that benefit your child and everyone else involved.
Choose Us as Your Child Custody Attorney in Santa Fe and Los Alamos
Child custody is a sensitive matter that shouldn’t be handled alone. Here’s what the Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer offers as your family lawyer.
- An Experienced Legal Team: When you have a seasoned Santa Fe child custody attorney working with you, it will be easier to focus on the well-being of your child and keep your rights protected. With more than 30 years of experience in family law in New Mexico, we are equally prepared to help you settle your custody matter both inside and outside the courtroom.
- A Respected Litigator: Our Principal Attorney, Dorene Kuffer, is a respected family lawyer with memberships in various legal organizations. These include the American Bar Association, the Board of the New Mexico State Bar Family Law Section, the Albuquerque Collaborative Practice Group, and more. Count on her to provide you with proper guidance and a favorable arrangement for you and your child.
Our team works the Santa Fe and Los Alamos courts. Speak to us today to set up a consultation about your case.