If you are contemplating or have already decided to pursue a divorce in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, it’s important to find an attorney who not only protects your interests, but also those of your children. Divorce can be a complex and emotionally difficult process, but hiring an experienced divorce lawyer ensures that the needs of your family are met.
During the legal proceedings, you will probably experience a myriad of both negative and positive emotions and have plenty of questions. In these trying and confusing times, it is preferable to have the support and guidance of a legal professional dedicated to protecting your rights and creating the most favorable outcome for you and your loved ones.
At the Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer, our Rio Racho divorce lawyers use their vast experience and knowledge to provide sound legal advice and guidance to help you make informed decisions while making the process as easy and understandable as possible.
Read on to learn about divorce in New Mexico and how our Rio Rancho divorce attorney can help.
Why Hire a Divorce Attorney
Divorce and separation are sensitive family law matters. With children involved in the equation, you’ll have more things to worry about on your own. Emotions will run high, and they are likely to affect your decisions. Instead of risking the outcome, it’s best to have an experienced Rio Rancho divorce attorney by your side.
An attorney’s help ensures you receive everything entitled to you once the divorce is finalized. Keep in mind that New Mexico has laws that determine how to separate assets;and in some cases, the court might require you or your partner to provide spousal support. High-conflict marriages that come with complex issues may require a neutral third party to oversee the situation, to make sure matters do not turn hostile.
Divorce is a stressful time for anyone. Instead of dealing with this on your own, hiring a divorce attorney removes one burden off your shoulders. Lawyers may require your participation at times, but their presence means you don’t need to worry about your case 24/7.
The team at Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer are trusted and experienced lawyers who will be your advocate. We know the ins and outs of New Mexico’s divorce law, you can rely on knowledgeable representation throughout your case.
New Mexico Divorce Law
New Mexico is a “no-fault” state, meaning that a couple wishing to divorce do not have to meet any “grounds” in order to be granted a divorce. You can obtain a divorce without proving the other person did something bad.
What makes New Mexico divorce laws unique? Unlike many states, there are no waiting requirements from when you file a petition to when the divorce is finalized. In other words, as soon as the court can take your case, you have the potential to be granted a divorce.
Collaborative Divorce Lawyer
Divorce is never an easy process because the life you once shared with someone else is coming to an end. It’s important to hire a divorce lawyer who can guide you through this experience with compassion and efficiency. As a divorce attorney, Dorene has helped thousands of couples with their divorces both inside and outside the courtroom.
As part of her commitment to operating a child-centered family law firm, and to facilitating amicable divorces, Dorene recommends collaborative divorce whenever possible. Collaborative divorce is an option when both parties are willing to amicably work through the process in a way that focuses on the needs of the family. Unfortunately, collaborative divorce is not always a viable option. When it is not, Dorene is equally prepared to fight your case in court.
- Alimony. Otherwise known as spousal support, alimony is awarded based on a number of factors and can be classified into three types: rehabilitative, transitional, and spousal support for an indefinite duration. New Mexico laws allow either spouse to seek support.
As experienced divorce lawyers, we provide sound advice about your ability t to be awarded with spousal support. We also offer assistance in the event that you want to challenge a spousal support order.
- Division of marital assets. When couples file for divorce, they must make decisions on multiple matters such as child custody, child support, and division of marital assets. It’s not just about who gets what; couples should determine the fairest way, and one in keeping with state laws, to divide marital property and debt.
We provide the knowledge and experience necessary in dealing with valuing and dividing assets and liabilities. Whether your only asset is the marital home or you own businesses or multiple investments, our legal team serves as your personal advocate, determining all property marital rights that belong to you.
- Divorce agreement modifications. While divorce decrees tend to be final, life circumstances result in changes that require modifications to the original court decree. Inmost cases, modifications center on issues of child support, child custody, and spousal support. We provide expert advice regarding your available options should you decide to change a decree.
- Divorce Mediation. Individuals faced with the reality of divorce may be overwhelmed with the situation and the upcoming process. Fortunately, not all divorces require court litigation.A neutral third party can mediate between couples, helping them arrive at a mutually acceptable agreement. Unlike traditional divorce, mediation focuses on arriving at a resolution that is fair game. Our Rio Rancho divorce lawyers can help you go through the process with dignity. Contact us for help with your case today.
- Orders of Protection. There are two kinds of protection orders available to citizens of New Mexico: Domestic Violence (DV) Orders of Protection and Restraining Orders. While you don’t need a lawyer for either of these orders, we recommend reaching out to us so we can represent you during the court hearing. It always helps to have an attorney by your side.
- Post-Divorce Rights. Just because the divorce is final, does not mean the battle is over.Some agreements made during the proceedings do not stand the test of time. Things can still change. Should there be any modifications, do not go through the changes alone. Our Rio Ranch attorneys can help you determine proper post-divorce modifications, which better reflect your current situation.
- Legal information. Our legal counsel will provide the do’s and don’ts of divorce cases, which ensure you avoid pitfalls along the way. We will guide you through the processes and help to ensure the best outcome for your case.
Experienced Divorce Attorney
When you choose The Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer, you receive rare personal interaction not found at most large divorce firms. Working in all aspects of family law, including LGBT family law, Dorene has the experience you need for a successful resolution to your divorce, child custody matter and/or post-divorce modifications. Contact us to set up a consultation with Dorene.