Juvenile laws in New Mexico are intended to protect children accused of committing crimes. According to these laws, every child is entitled to a defense lawyer. When a juvenile gets arrested, a public defender is immediately assigned to the case. But as parents, you can hire a juvenile attorney in Albuquerque who closely follows the juvenile law and the constant changes surrounding it.
At the Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer, our juvenile law attorneys possess the legal experience representing and defending children’s rights. Upon thorough investigation of the charges against your child, we will develop a strong defense using all possible resources to arrive at the most favorable outcome.
Juvenile delinquency proceedings are considered civil proceedings, but changes in juvenile law over the past decade have resulted in juvenile convictions resembling adult criminal convictions more and more. When hiring a juvenile law attorney, it’s important to hire one who follows changes to juvenile law closely.
Legal Representation is Required
Juvenile cases are handled differently in each state. In New Mexico, a minor accused of a crime requires legal representation. Unlike adults who are tried in court, juveniles can’t represent themselves in juvenile court. The court has the duty to inform parents or guardians that their child has a right to legal counsel. And while a public defender may be provided, it is always best to get a private lawyer who will have time to focus on the case.
Our Albuquerque law firm can help you through this hard time by providing the strongest representation possible. Our team will listen to your case, analyze it, and offer custom solutions for your case.
What We Do
Our Albuquerque juvenile attorney handles the following cases:
- Juvenile Civil/Criminal law. A serious felony and violent offense as a juvenile could lead to your child being charged as an adult. Children who are charged under New Mexico law means the prosecutor filed a civil petition. Minor crimes may result in your child being sentenced to community service. Serious offenses, however, may land your child in juvenile detention. Your child needs an experienced juvenile defense attorney. The Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer provides aggressive legal representation, giving your child an opportunity for the best possible outcome for the case.
- School Bullying. Was your child accused of bullying or being bullied in school? Our law firm offers professional advice to parents and helps prevent the case from jeopardizing the child’s records. Contact The Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer to help protect your child’s rights and bring the issue before school officials and the court.
- Child Arrest. A juvenile arrest shouldn’t ruin your child’s future. If your child has been accused of a crime, do not gamble with an inexperienced attorney. Our Albuquerque juvenile attorneys represent juveniles arrested for serious crimes,such as murder and sex offenses. We have the experience your child needs to get the best outcome for the case.
- Charged with Assault or Felony. New Mexico juvenile law allows children to be charged as adults on assault (including charges involving firearms) or felony(domestic violence, assault, violent crimes, theft, sex crimes, homicide) cases.Serious crimes may result in years of incarceration instead of juvenile rehabilitation. Our law firm can explain juvenile laws applicable to your child’s case and discuss options available for their defense. Trust that our team will advocate on your child’s behalf, every step of the way.
- Juvenile Drug Possession. Anyone charged with drug possession will face serious legal consequences. For juvenile offenders, the worst consequences include academic repercussions. As your trusted juvenile lawyers, our goal is to get the drug charges reduced or dismissed through proper negotiations with the prosecutor. Our attorneys develop strategies according to how the state handles such cases and also keep your child’s future in mind.